Monday, April 14, 2008

30

This weekend was my 30th birthday. And today i was thinking about how different my life is that i expected 5, 10 and 15 years ago.

15 years ago i was half the age i am now. 15 was not a good year for me. Although from it i learned so much, i would not want to relive it... and if i had the opportunity to do it over knowing what i know now, i would do so much differently. Starting with the best part of my year, meeting Thomas.

10 years ago i was newly married and so eager and full of energy. And within a year we were living with house mates that almost ruined our friendship as 'man and wife'. But we grew up together.

5 years ago i had one child. And Thomas joined the army. He left on Jul's second birthday. I cried as i dropped him off outside Montreal at a huge building called the Mega. I sobbed in the car, and as i calmed enough to drive home, on the radio i heard 'The Scientist' for the first time. I did not marry Thomas in the hopes of being an army wife... in fact i opposed it vehemently!!! I did NOT want to be an army wife.

And now, i am a proud wife to my officer husband, learning and educating mother to 3 beautiful children. My sister and mother both entered 30 with denial. I dont mind being 30. It's a number that only tells how long i have been alive, but not what i have lived.

3 comments:

dawna said...

i remember the mega.. oh how it would hurt to drop him off there and then drive back to kingston. i sympathize.
i did not want to be an army wife either. and technically, i'm not. but still, i am. somedays i still don't like it.
i guess i should do a blog post of my own.
miss you.

jordin said...

army, navy, air force... all the same.

The other thing that happened 5 years ago... i bought a house. I would say we, but Thomas just paid for it.

Barb said...

I hope you had a blessed birthday!
Thank you for your kind words on my blog...
Someone did put the directions in my comment box and they worked!
So maybe you can give them a try if you would like.
God bless!!!