Wednesday, May 20, 2009

I have started an experiment around here this week. It isnt anything exciting, or even necessary in many houses. But the tv plug has been removed and there is no media in this house for one week. This may be extended. I have enjoyed Jul coming out of his shell and the loss of his bad attitude. He was happy to stay home last night from Kung Fu... i think he was just happy to be with us.

I have been reading the book 'Have a New Kid by Friday'. I love some of the ideas, like: Saying something only once, and letting reality be the teacher. But there are things i really dont like... it feels like the relationship is conditional on the childs behaviour. I think i will take somethings from it, and leave others. I will definately take the mentality that if they cant do as i ask, i dont have to do as they ask. I think that is reasonable. If i ask for something to be done once, (saying it more than once implies that they are 'too stupid to understand the first time') we will call this 'A', and it isnt done, they dont get to do 'B'. But i do feel that this approach is lacking unconditional compassion. So i ordered 'Unconditional Parenting' to balance it.

Our garden is doing well... i will post pictures soon.

No comments: